The Commission for Corporations and Stock Exchanges (CONSOB) has been in charge of overseeing crypto asset regulation in Italy since 2020. This commission tightened its regulatory rules on crypto exchanges in 2023 to better protect the interests of Italian traders. Nonetheless, there’s a lot to keep in mind if you want to use a crypto exchange in Italy.
This guide, will cover all you need to know about the best crypto exchanges in Italy. The crypto exchanges that we’ll recommend will offer the best value for money, with many supporting Euro payment methods. You’ll also learn about the products offered by these exchanges and their security features.
We did our research and considered numerous crypto exchanges in Italy to bring you the five best ones. Discover all you need to know about the best crypto exchanges for Italians in 2023.
- Bitget – Best overall crypto exchange in Italy
- Kraken – Oldest crypto exchange in Italy
- Binance – Best advanced trader option
- eToro – Best exchange for investors
- YoungPlatform – Beginner-friendly platform
Bitget was established in April 2018, and it has up to 20 million registered users worldwide. The exchange supports over 550 cryptos, allowing it to turn in an average 24-hour trading volume of over $5 billion.
The Bitget exchange is very user-friendly and easy for beginners to use. It also offers many advanced features for experienced crypto traders making it the best overall crypto exchange in Italy.
Bitget allows you to trade on everything from margin to futures and spots. The crypto exchange has low trading fees and their futures come with a 125x leverage.
You can also use basic and advanced bots to improve your earning power. Copy trading is also available for traders who want to follow world experts and beginners in crypto trading.
Visa, Mastercard, Union Pay cards, P2P trading, and SEPA bank transfer can be used on Bitget to purchase cryptocurrency with Euros. Bitget charges no deposit fees for its services. However, there are withdrawal fees, and they’re different for each cryptocurrency.
If you want to learn more about the platform, you can read our full Bitget review.
- Supported Cryptos: Over 550+ cryptocurrencies
- Futures Contracts: 200+ Futures contracts
- Max. Leverage: 125x
- Spot Trading Fees: 0.1% maker / 0.1% taker
- Futures Trading Fees: 0.02% maker / 0.06% taker
- Deposits & Withdrawals: Free Deposits and withdrawals made via Bank Transfer using Euro €
- Licensed & Regulated: Regulated by FinCEN, FSA, and CySEC
Bitget Pros & Cons
|👍 Bitget Pros||👎 Bitget Cons|
|✅ Free Euro deposits||❌ Advanced Features are confusing for beginners|
|✅ Very user friendly||❌ Limited Educational Resources|
|✅ 500+ Cryptos||❌ Not available in US|
|✅ Copy Trading|
|✅ 24/7 Live chat support|
|✅ Low fees|
Changpeng Zhao is the founder of Binance, and he launched the exchange in 2017. Binance has grown since then, averaging a daily trading volume of $24 billion to become the largest crypto exchange. Binance is one of the best cryptocurrency exchanges due to its many features that support advanced traders.
On Binance, you’ll be able to purchase cryptocurrency, invest in promising Web3 projects, and trade NFTs. Spot, margin, and future trading are also available on this platform, along with trading bots for that extra edge.
Binance has 264 markets, making it one of the biggest crypto markets out there. This and its numerous trading features make it a premier choice for advanced traders.
Binance supports euro deposits and withdrawals through bank cards, bank transfers, and Zen. For deposits, bank transfers come with a 1€ fee, bank cards have a 1.8% fee, and Zen has a 1% fee. For withdrawals, Zen is free, while bank transfers and bank cards have a 1€ and 1.8% fee, respectively.
If you want to learn more about the platform, you can read our full Binance review.
- Supported Cryptos: Over 350+ cryptocurrencies
- Futures Contracts: 50+ Futures contracts
- Max. Leverage: 125x
- Spot Trading Fees: 0.1% maker / 0.1% taker
- Futures Trading Fees: 0.02% maker / 0.04% taker
- Deposits & Withdrawals: Euro € deposits and withdrawals via bank transfer, bank cards, and Zen
- Licensed & Regulated: Regulated by Organismo Agenti e Mediatori (OAM) with DASP licence
|👍 Binance Pros||👎 Binance Cons|
|✅ Most comprehensive crypto platform||❌ Not very user-friendly|
|✅ Low spot and futures trading fees||❌ Slow during high volatility phases|
|✅ 24/7 live chat support||❌ Regulatory issues in some EU countries|
|✅ Best passive income products||❌ Not available in US|
|✅ Cheap Euro deposits|
Kraken is one of the oldest crypto exchanges that you’ll find, as it was established in 2011. However, this platform has kept up with the times, averaging $3 billion in daily trading volumes. Kraken is one of the best crypto exchanges in Italy offering all the features a trader would need.
Kraken offers a good crypto market with more than 200 cryptocurrencies to trade. You’ll also find an NFT marketplace, margin trading opportunities, futures trading, API trading, and even passive income earning with staking.
This crypto exchange is suitable for both newbies and advanced traders. However, its biggest advantage lies in the fact that it offers a bit of everything. Low futures fee and trading features that satisfy both newcomers and professional traders are just some features that make it stand out.
Kraken accepts euro deposits through SEPA at no cost. Bank card and digital wallet deposits, however, come with a 1€ fee or higher. Withdrawals are only available through SEPA with a 1€ fee.
If you want to learn more about the platform, you can read our full Kraken review.
- Supported Cryptos: Over 200+ cryptocurrencies
- Futures Contracts: 110+ Futures contracts
- Max. Leverage: 50x
- Spot Trading Fees: 0.16% maker / 0.26% taker
- Futures Trading Fees: 0.02% maker / 0.05% taker
- Deposits & Withdrawals: Euro € deposits and withdrawals via SEPA, bank cards, and digital wallets
- Licensed & Regulated: Regulated by FinCEN and CySEC with MSB licence.
|👍 Kraken Pros||👎 Kraken Cons|
|✅ Low futures fees||❌ High spot trading fees|
|✅ Cheap Euro support||❌ Lacks more advanced features|
|✅ Very secure and reliable||❌ Low amount of supported crypto assets|
|✅ User-friendly interface|
|✅ Great mobile app|
This eToro platform was established in 2007 and entered the crypto scene in 2013. eToro caters to 30 million users with a focus on the European market, and supports more than 3,000 trading instruments. Although only 70 cryptocurrencies are available here, it is one of the best exchanges in Italy for the prime investment opportunities it offers.
eToro supports crypto trading, copy trading, social trading, and investments with 0% commission stocks. Newcomers on the exchange will discover a demo account that can be used to improve their skills. It also offers educational materials for those who are trading for the first time.
Although eToro serves well as a crypto exchange with more than 70 cryptocurrencies, its specialty lies in its trading opportunities.
Euro deposits are accepted for free on this online exchange via bank cards, PayPal, Neteller, and Skrill. Withdrawals come with a $5 fee (which will be converted to euros) via bank cards and bank transfers.
If you want to learn more about the platform, you can read our full eToro review.
- Supported Cryptos: Over 75+ cryptocurrencies
- Futures Contracts: No futures
- Max. Leverage: 1%
- Spot Trading Fees: 1% maker / 1% taker
- Futures Trading Fees: No futures supported
- Deposits & Withdrawals: Euro € deposits and withdrawals via bank cards, bank transfers, Skrill, Neteller, and PayPal
- Licensed & Regulated: Regulated by CySEC and FCA
|👍 eToro Pros||👎 eToro Cons|
|✅ Very beginner friendly||❌ Lacks advanced features|
|✅ Best Euro fiat support||❌ Very high trading fees|
|✅ 3000+ supported assets||❌ Only 75 cryptos supported|
|✅ Crypto + TradFi assets|
YoungPlatform is an Italian company that was created to make cryptocurrency trading easy. This platform caters to the needs of up to 500,000 Italian traders. YoungPlatform stands as one of Italy’s best crypto exchanges due to its user-friendliness and simplicity.
YoungPlatform supports up to 50 cryptocurrencies with advanced trading APIs for effective crypto trading. The exchange comes in a regular version for beginners and a pro version for advanced traders. There’s also an academy where newcomers to the crypto scene can go to improve their trading skills.
Euros can be used for deposits and withdrawals on YoungPlatform. This platform supports wire transfers alongside Visa and Mastercard. Deposits made using wire transfers are free, while Visa and Mastercard attract a 2.2% + €0.25 fee. Withdrawals are sent to customer bank accounts, and they come with a €1.99 fee.
Yes, cryptocurrency is legal in Italy, and it is regulated by the Commission for Corporations and Stock Exchanges (CONSOB). Since the Italian legal system doesn’t have an official definition for digital assets, this government entity treats them like foreign currency.
While there are no strict regulations regarding cryptocurrency, crypto income is still taxed at 26%. Keep in mind that capital gain taxes may still apply in some scenarios. To stay on the safe side, it’ll be best to consult a local tax advisor regarding the taxes on crypto trading.
Now that you’ve gotten the prerequisite knowledge about crypto exchanges in Italy, it’s high time you purchased some. We’ve put together a step-by-step guide that’ll show you how to purchase cryptocurrency from exchanges in Italy.
- Pick the right crypto exchange: The first step in purchasing cryptocurrency is to pick a good crypto exchange. This means that the platform has to be safe, regulated under recognized authorities in Italy, and offer user-friendly interfaces. The five recommendations we provided are a good example of options you can pick from.
- Register on the platform: After making your choice of crypto exchange, open an account with them. After you’re done with that, verify your account with the Know Your Customer (KYC) procedure. This is a requirement to withdraw funds from most cryptocurrency exchanges
- Select a deposit method: After opening an account, you’ll need to fund it to buy digital coins. For this, you’ll need to choose a deposit method.
The most popular deposit methods for crypto exchanges in Italy are bank transfers, bank cards, and select digital wallets. Bank transfers are the cheapest deposit option, but their processing times are slow. Bank cards and digital wallets are much faster options; however, their transaction fees are costly.
- Choose the cryptocurrency you wish to purchase: At this point, you’ll need to choose the digital coin you wish to purchase.
- Pay for the cryptocurrency: After making your choice of cryptocurrency, pay for it by entering your payment data
- Consider a crypto wallet: Although most crypto platforms today come with an in-built wallet, it’s best to invest in a standalone wallet of your own. You’ll get full privacy and better control over your digital assets.
Cryptocurrency is legal in Italy, so you can trade without issue. The crypto landscape in the country is regulated by CONSOB, providing more credibility to crypto exchanges.
The best overall crypto exchange in Italy is Bitget. With Bitget, you get good money for value with no deposit fees and low trading fees. Its security is one of the best, as it offers 2-factor authentication, SSL encryption, cold storage, etc.
Other platforms like Binance and Kraken are still great for buying and trading crypto in the country. Advanced traders will find Binance useful as it supports more than 200 cryptocurrencies. Kraken is the oldest crypto exchange in Italy with low futures fees and features that benefit both beginners and advanced traders.
eToro is the platform for the crypto investor with fees that are locked at 1%. YoungPlatform was created specifically for Italians and it offers both a regular and pro version of their platform.